Monday, March 06, 2006

Black Is the Theme at Lethe

Black is the theme at Lethe. They serve coffee--black coffee--to everyone and give their special customers Black Russians. I'll call up one of my best friends--especially when Hades has been in one of his most particularly poisonous moods--and we'll agree to meet at Lethe.

Since I'm the Queen of Hades, they'll always greet me at Lethe with pitchers of Black Russians as I step out my Jaguar with my chauffeur--who's black of course--opening the door for me.

By the way, we don't really have racial discrimination down here in Hell. Being a chauffeur here is a really good job because unlike most of the jobs that tend to be in think tanks, as a chauffeur, you actually get to do something. I think people get really frustrated here because they feel like they can't accomplish anything. But accomplishment is what they do on earth or in heaven, not here in Hell.

There's a chair that I like to sit in while I'm here. It's a very elegant black brocade wing chair. I sit, nursing my Black Russian--or if it's still early in the day--my black coffee with just a little Kahlua in it--and wait for my friends to join me, sitting in the two or three chairs that Lethe arranges so that I can hold court.

We talk, but my friends know better than to criticize Hades. I'm never sure whether it makes me feel better for me to revile Hades to my friends, but I love him too much to let other people tell me how bad he is.

The salespeople--fortunately--know their place. They ask us what we'd like to see, and they send their models out, draped in all kinds of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home